megan's blog

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Whats all this about a roadtrip?

As I am preparing for this upcoming roadtrip, financially as well as mentally and physically, I have to ask myself (mainly because everyone else does) why are we doing this. A few months ago, I was sitting in my living room mapping out the girls vacation that I was supposed to go on with my family. We were going to the East so when I was done, I decided to make a trail to the west. This of course was just a dream and I figured Id have to wait until I was older and probably married before I found someone that I could make go with me.
During second semester of my senior year, a little peice of my life that I have named "the pits of Hell" I met the most wonderful person. Lindsey Czechowicz and I became friends while we werent looking. One day during a meal in the Nash banquet hall, I mentioned my dream for whatever reason, and her eyes got huge and she exclaimed that that was also a dream she had. Then she said, "MEGBO, LETS DO IT!" I was shocked. My dreams never become reality, especially big ones like this. Was I brave enough to do it, was I going to allow myself to take the adventure of a lifetime even if it wasnt the most structured thing in all the world....Maybe

From that time on, we talked about the roadtrip and the more we talked the more it became a reality. I read more books last semester than Ive probably read in my whole life. A few of them were books about roadtrips or people living simply. Whatever they were about, they inspired me to really want to try this. My favorite author is Donald miller. The first bok of his that I read was in one day on my way home from alabama. One of his books is about a roadtrip from Texas to Portland. He has made me fall in love with a place I have never seen. A good part of the desire for this trip stems from just wanting to see Portland and Seattle and everything in between. Do I hope to meet Don, OF COURSE. Do I think he will be so excited about me and lindsey and want to come back with us and sit at Moon Monkey for hours and talk about life, love and other mysteries, YES. And do I think my name will appear in his next book, WHY NOT?
But is that the only reason we are going, HECK NO. I need this, Lindsey needs this. I need to know that I can do it. I need to discover something, and if I already knew what it was, I wouldnt be looking for it would I? Is this trip at all irresponsible or frivolous? I dont think so. Its one of the most grown up things Ive ever done. Lindsey said something the other day about changing the world on our road trip. My response was, we might not change the world in those two weeks, but it will inevitably change each of us, and I believe we will be much more useful in changing the world as a result!
Expect great things to come!
Megbo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home