megan's blog

Friday, April 09, 2010

the healthcare bill

Here is my political stance. I know you didn’t ask for it, but here it is. I don’t like politics. I think government is necessary and chaos would quickly ensue if we take away rules and regulations. I also think we are too selfish and greedy to not have someone making decisions for the greater good (hopefully). That being said, I am a Christian. I personally want the church to step up and be in charge of caring for people and see their actions making it easier for people to live, especially people who get tangled in the systems set in place by our government who is trying to (hopefully) work for the greater good.
One thing that makes me madder than a hornet is when the church becomes political. I think there is a fine line between getting involved politically, living peaceably with decisions made by the government, and wholeheartedly siding with an existing political party. The latter of these I believe to be unchristian…. You heard me; I believe this is down right wrong. To believe that one party is trying to govern this country with Christian values and the other is completely evil is naïve and just silly. I believe that neither party is or could ever be completely Christian. So church…. please stop following one or the other blindly. Use your head!
This sort of blog is usually inspired by an election. I hate election time, because that is when Christians become especially annoying to me. They start talking about ungodly politicians and godly men of the Republican party. This is annoying. I feel bad for both men (and sometimes women). How can anyone live up to that, or overcome it as the case may be.
I often find myself siding with and voting for the Democratic candidate. Not necessarily because I agree with everything he/she will do or has done, but in order to balance out the Christians that blindly follow the republican ticket. With the recent passing of the Healthcare bill, I will admit that I do not know the future of healthcare and what exactly this bill will mean for us/me. What I do know is that change is necessary. We cannot keep living with the way things are going. If you do not know anyone who has suffered under the current system, you need to get out more. Will there be problems with the new system, yes, but I will say it again, we cannot continue to live under the current system. If you think you do not like the new system…I first of all encourage you to know what you are talking about before you claim you do not like it. Then, figure out what you do not like and let change start with you. How can you change your current way of life to avoid what you think you don’t like about the bill? If you are about to lose your current insurance, what is the best decision you can make for your family? Is there a way you can live more simply and start creating a Health Savings Account for your family? Are there people you are committed to living with and saving your money with in case of emergency? Are you a healthcare provider with a skill that can help people get the care they need or the preventative care they need to avoid serious medical costs? THIS IS OUR CHRISTIAN DUTY!!!! This is what Jesus life shows us. How many times in the Bible do you remember Jesus talking about the medical system of Jerusalem or Galilee? Yeah I can’t remember that being referenced either. BUT how many times can you remember him showing an example of caring for someone or asking someone to make a sacrifice so that someone else could have a better life?
So what can you do? How can we make a difference in light of or in spite of the changes being made in Washington?
So there it is. Now you know why I storm out of churches that preach politics and republican values. Now you know why I vote democrat. I think I have more to say about our Christian response to politics, but this is it for now.
Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I love reading your blog posts. This is incredible. Thank you for posting. Very well said.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found your blog while researching birthing centers in KC. Thinking about adding to the family soon. ;)
Anyway, I feel exactly the same as this post! I just cannot say it to my main stream of friends, and risk contention of every kind. I usually hide around election time!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home