megan's blog

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I love my job

I love my job. Maybe I dont say it enough. (Maybe I say it too much and you feel like I am rubbing it in.) Either way, I love it, and I think that is important. There are many times in my life when i felt like I was on a stepping stone. Whereever I was was not an end point. I usually enjoyed the stages of life, but I am finally at a place where I feel very content. There are things that I want and places I want to go, but as far as jobs go, I want to stay where I am at for awhile. I cannot imagine anywhere else in Kansas City where I would want to work.
I work at Mercy and Truth Birth Center. I am currently a nurse at the birth center. In nursing school I remember thinking that I should try to work somewhere other than labor and delivery because I assumed everyone wanted to work in that field. Untrue. I do not think it is for everyone. Also I never wanted to work in a hospital. People always told me I would have to get some general hospital experience before doing anything that i wanted to do. Also untrue. I have been at Mercy and Truth for a year now. August 3, 2008 was the first birth I got to be a part of. (there were two that day!) Looking back I realize that I have learned sooooo much. It makes me happy that I have come a long way and makes me wonder where I will be in a year.
I was at dinner the other day with someone, and I asked if he enjoyed his job. He kinda smiled and said, "not really... Somedays I don't mind it. I really miss teaching" It seems like a lot of people feel that way. He is in a career that he sometimes likes because he feels like he needs to make a certain amount of money to support his family. I can totally understand the need to provide for your family and I appreciate that his family is comfortable and he is not in debt (that I know of), but I feel so sad for people that are not content in their careers. I think you can make the best of anything, and some people just haven't found that thing that they love, but to stay in a job that you dont like when you have other options is hard for me to understand.
I think this is a blog that would make a good discussion. What do other people think about this? Is it more important to live comfortably or to be happy with your work?

1 Comments:

Blogger the hancocks said...

I'm also really interested in this discussion.

Some days I'm so down on my job. Other days I just feel grateful to have one--and such a good one.

Today I spent about 3 hours talking to Pappaw in the shade near the garden. He was telling me about how he always wanted to be a farmer; he never imagined growing up to do anything else. But then when he needed a job, he got a pretty good one. And then he got a good wife who preferred his good, steady, non-risky job to farming. Then they wanted a good house, and there went the money that could have bought 80 acres. He says he doesn't regret it. He worked hard, he provided for his family, and he made the best of his work.

It was kind of inspiring. I just don't know what I think about it all though; I can see both sides.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home