megan's blog

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Mommy granola (or anybody really)

I am not ready to write part two of my health care blog yet. Today, I want to blog about my granola. I tried Shannon's granola last night at mama's group. It was so good and I know it was healthier than what I normally make and it was so rich and yummy. So I thought I would give it a whirl with what I had. Also on my mind was what a momma needs during the first few days/weeks post partum.


3 c rolled oats (toasted on 150 for 15 minutes or as long as it takes you to get everything else ready.)
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c almonds (soaked for 24 hours if possible. I did it for about 20 min and it was an amazing difference.)
1/4 c sunflower seeds (you can add pumpkin seeds too if youd like.)
2 T flax seeds (these can also be soaked)
1/2 c dried coconut flakes
1/8 c dark chocolate chips(I might add these after I bake it next time)

1/2 c black strap molasses
1/2 c maple syrup (I might not have used that much actually I forget)
1/8 c water
2 T oil
1tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

mix the dry in one bowl
mix wet in other bowl
pour wet over dry
put on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (stir half way through)


To make these even better for new mommies I can add Brewer's yeast which will help with milk production. Also the Oats help with this. This recipe is also awesome because it has molasses which has iron and calcium which is so great for energy and every new mom needs extra calcium when breastfeeding.
I might also figure out a way to use apricots which are great for getting your bowels moving well.
OK I hope you are

1 Comments:

Blogger carra said...

...so when my mom came to visit last weekend, she brought a jug of maple syrup that her co-worker didn't think she'd be able to use up. SCORE! i'm going to whip up a batch of granola today using some tips from your recipe. thanks!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home