megan's blog

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The best is yet to come

I have been in conversation with a few people today and it inspired this blog. So here it goes.
At lunch people were discussing church and more specifically, Trinity church of the Nazarene in KC. This is the church I have become a part of. One of the comments about the church was that it is not a "real church." By that what was meant was simply, it is made up of mostly seminary students that have been educated and therefore different things happen and sermons sound differnt than in "normal churches." In another conversation I had, a friend was telling me how she was thinking about how different things will be when she lives in a differnt place or even a different country.
Now here are my thoughts on these conversations. My first thoughts is to agree and say that what we have here is not "normal" at least not what Im used to. Trinity especially is made up of mostly educated seminary students and we do get to here sermons that can be deep and thought inspiring. I get that, but what I think is so cool is that what we are experienceing is becoming part of us and will hopefully spill over into our lives later on. Whether that is when we are pastoring our own church or when we are working as a missionoary in another country. The same thing was true for me with Olivet. I feel like while at Olivet, I was definitely not living in a "real world" but what I leanr at Olivet was how to live in community, and if you have talked to me or visited KC lately or if you live here you know that the concept of community has spilled over into my life here and what might not have been a "real world before prepared me for something that is definitely real to me know and I think that is very cool. And might I just say, I am very excited about what I am being prepared for.

1 Comments:

Blogger Montague said...

MegBizzle, your blogs are pleasantly insightful. Yeah, as much as Trinity is far from the typical naz church, perhaps it is a glimpse of what/where can be. I mean...Perhaps all churches could promote well thought out Christian education and develop some sort of liturgy.

Either way, it really is shaping us. I am so glad God has led me to Trinity. And I hope that Jesus will disciple me here and send me out in hope that is growing among us. In the end, I think it's the faith, hope, and love that we are experiencing at Trinity that lets it be powerful--and that can definitely overflow like a garbage can in the ghetto.

by the way, I read your post on social justice and holiness. Nice.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home