megan's blog

Monday, October 02, 2006

Confession: right now I feel like I am writing a clinical journal.

I just got done working 13 hours at two different jobs. I worked for about 6 hours at the shelter tonight which was really good for me. I got to see a lot of things that I had not seen yet and do things I had not done yet. These are my thoughts on the experience.
First of all let me explain, I have been training for a job at a womens and childrens shelter. I am excited about the job because I always talked about doing midwifery and focusing on the population that is underserved. These women are definately part of that population. I am hoping to learn from these women and I am prepared to make mistakes. I realize I will probably be taken advantage of due to my lack of knowledge and street smarts. But for now, it is my belief that if a client has a request and I have a minute, there is no reason not to do everything I can to help them. I am trying to learn the balance between helping them and doing everything for them. It is hard sometimes to be with other advocates that work differently than I do. I am trying to learn ffrom them, but also do things my own way....This means I have to figure out what works because it works and what is personality.

OK, I am getting very tired and not forming complete thoughts....For now, know that I am happy, healthy, working only two jobs and occasionally looking to the future but realizing things are good right now.

Love,
Megan

PS, this is possibly the worst clincal journal ever. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home